Place: Africa - - None Specified -
Publication Date: 01/03/2017
Our client, a multinational construction and civil engineering firm, is looking for a Project Manager to join its existing team in one of the group’s various subsidiaries in Africa (Ghana, Togo, Kenya and Niger initially, other countries likely TBC at a later date).
Overseeing the coordination of the project and the viability of the work by defining strategies and processes and ensuring that these are implemented. Representing the company to clients and the project’s management committee and assuming responsibility for all operations relating to the project. Upholding and exemplifying the group’s values.
Organizing the design
- Ensuring that safety issues are taken into account from the design phase, in line with the “Safety in Design” policy.
- Ensuring that the project is feasible when implementing studies.
- Ensuring that the execution of the project is monitored and complies with the defined design.
Organizing the commencement of construction work and overseeing its execution
- Leading on defining, implementing and monitoring a zero-accident safety policy.
- Organizing the project team by defining an organisation chart for the project and the roles of each member.
- Overseeing the finalization and monitoring of the execution plan.
- Ensuring that the project meets cost/quality/time constraints in line with the projected budget.
- Coordinating the monitoring of studies and progress of work.
Managing financial, contractual, legal and HR aspects
- Ensuring compliance with the contract and that the interests of the project and the company are upheld.
- Establishing a relationship with the client that is based on mutual trust and negotiating with them on behalf of the company and/or group.
- Drawing up reports and ensuring that the information submitted to the project’s management committee is transparent.
- Selecting subcontractors and suppliers.
- Overseeing the preparation of claim applications and drawing up progress reports.
- Approving the project budget and ensuring compliance with it throughout the duration of the project.
- Defining the wage policy for the project in agreement with the company or group.
- Acting as the first point of contact for employee representatives.
- Overseeing when staff are called in to work on site, determining when they are no longer needed and coordinating their movements between sites.
Managing your team
- Ensuring that the company’s general policies and rules (e.g. on quality, safety and environmental (QSE) and human resources issues) are enforced.
- Supervising and motivating your teams by sharing a vision and objectives.
- Assessing your team (on a daily basis and at annual and performance reviews) and approving action plans relating to their development.
Overseeing the conclusion of construction work
- Ensuring that the project is delivered within the agreed time frames.
- Drawing up the final invoice and an after-sales file.
- Engineer specializing in construction and civil engineering
- Experience of managing construction and civil engineering projects
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working in a similar post
- Business skills – Client relations – Ability to negotiate
- Confident with contract/claims management
- Confident with financial/budget management
- Fluent in French and English (spoken and written)
- Experience in Africa essential
- African background essential (must be African or have African parents)